Tuesday, January 5, 2016

WCW: The Depths Of Ineptitude



Since WWE Network launched, i've been running through WCW PPV's starting from Bash At The Beach 1996 ( Beginning of N.W.O. angle) to it's demise. It took me over a year to finish all of them. A lot of thoughts come to mind, I could probably write a book  or at least a novella, but I think for the purposes of this blog, i'm going to pick out some of the very worst matches during this period, because, man, did they put some shitty matches on PPV. It's real easy to see why they couldn't compete with the (at the time WWF.)

Some notes/observations;

-Watching WCW PPV's from 2000 feels like watching a pet or friend die of a terminal illness, kinda.

-I'm not interested in taking mean spirited potshots at performers who were only doing their jobs. My goal is to pick out some matches that were just plain bad. For different reasons, which i'll elaborate on when I review the matches themselves. A lot of them are matches between untrained people or a pro vs. an untrained "guest" wrestler or celebrity who has no business being in the ring.

-There were a shit ton of bad matches on these shows.

-WCW's ineptitude was SAVAGE. DEEP. Utterly hopeless.

-Although some of these matches are bad on a technical level ( or, every level) I still strangely enjoy some of them. (i'm a glutton for punishment.)

-Steve Mongo McMichael is the patron saint of bad matches.

-I ended up gaining respect for a lot of guys that I didn't have much for previously.

-I'm trying to develop some type of system of tiers of how bad the matches get, with a couple potential categories: The Drizzling Shits/-5 Stars/Pug Fugly/Bowling Shoe Ugly. I guess they'll be in no particular order. Haven't decided yet.


-I'll be focusing on one match per post.




Some preview images:











No comments:

Post a Comment