Thursday, July 4, 2013

Currently Reading: The Invisibles

Finally finished Grant Morrison's magnum opus, THE INVISIBLES. I've been a huge fan of Morrison since I got back into comics in 2005 and I've been slowly trying to make my way through his massive catalog of work. I tried starting THE INVISIBLES a couple years ago but I couldn't finish the first volume, it seemed too incoherent to me. Years later, a friend let me borrow the omnibus that came out about a year ago. I devoured this thing in short order, and man, it is an experience. If any comic is like a drug, that meaning, something you ingest that expands or challenges your consciousness, THE INVISIBLES is just that. It really makes you think about a plethora of subjects: conspiracies, UFO's, Magick, and a ton of other weird stuff. Morrison's calling cards all seeped into his other work, some of it being on corporate characters, but he is given the freedom to go wherever he wants with this series, and boy does he go for it. You'll either love it or hate it, but you have to respect the level of passion put into this project. You could research all the references for years. I have really only watched some of Terence McKenna's lectures on youtube, and that has been a real treat. You can see where the Matrix took pieces of the narrative and modified it for there uses, which is also very interesting. The art is wildly inconsistent, but it didn't necessarily take away from it for me, although I prefer the issues Phil Jiminez pencils. In the end, there are a ton of essays and commentary around the web on this book, and they all go way deeper then me. I'm absolutely going to have to re-read it, it was that compelling. I've read a SHIT TON of comics in my time, but nothing quite like THE INVISIBLES. It's something else. Must read.










No comments:

Post a Comment